Reception honoring Department graduates and their families. Will begin at end of graduation ceremonies
Becoming a PSYC MajorThe Psychology Undergraduate Major is a Limited Enrollment Program (LEP). This means that students must meet additional academic requirements beyond admission to the University in order to become and remain a psychology major. For general information on LEP policies visit BSOS’ LEP page and www.lep.umd.edu .
Details on the courses and grades necessary to become and remain a PSYC major are provided on our Degree Requirements page.
All students accepted directly as freshman into the psychology major, or who declare by the last day of classes in their first semester, will undergo an Academic Review at 45 credits (earned at Maryland) in order to remain in the major. You will need to have completed the gateway requirements and earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 to remain in the major.
Internal/External Transfer Students and Freshmen Declaring in their First Semester
When you’ve made the decision to declare psychology as your major:
- Visit the Department of Psychology’s Office of Undergraduate Studies (BPS 1107) to meet with an academic advisor during walk-in hours (10:00am - 12:00pm daily) or call 301-405-5866 to schedule an appointment
- During your visit with an academic advisor you will schedule an appointment for a New PSYC Majors Workshop and receive an application to complete
- After the New PSYC Majors Workshop you will then be able to complete the BSOS Academic Planning Workshop. For available appointments, or to complete the workshop online, visit www.bsosworkshops.umd.edu
- Submit your application and academic plan to the BSOS Advising Center in Tydings 2148
- BSOS Advising will send you an email notifying you of your status. Please note that this may take a few weeks
For more information on adding a second major visit BSOS’ website on double-majors .